Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Shabu Shabu

I realized I've never mentioned Shabu Shabu. I'm not sure if it's spelled correctly but we'll pretend it is. Shabu shabu is basically do-it-yourself meat and vegetables. Upon entering the restaurant you take off your shoes and sit down on the floor at a mini table. Then somebody brings out a broth and turns on your pot. You add the meat and vegetables when you want. There are also many side dishes brought out to you. Among them, kimchi (really spicy fermented cabbage), rice, and pickled something or the other. Sometimes you get a side of lettuce leaves so you can wrap up the meat and vegetables. I think this was the first Korean food I had here (which I'm told is actually a Japanese food). You don't get a plate to eat from, you just kind of take what you want at the time and eat it. It's weird not having a plate, I guess we're spoiled in the States with our own plate for meals!
The broth is ready to go. Notice the mushrooms in the pot, much tastier than button mushrooms.
The plate of meat and vegetables we got. We really had no idea how to order anything different. We simply said "two people" when we ordered.

Our feast!

3 comments:

Erica said...

holy smokes! lots and lots of food.

Shar said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was wondering who was reading my blog in Korea, and now I know!

We went to Shelley. My mom is from there and my dad is from Ririe. Our family genes just run rampant in that area! I'm pretty sure I'm related to everyone in eastern Idaho.

Your husband is from Idaho Falls?

Lots of interesting food there. How is it?

{Erica} said...

My brother happened to look over my shoulder as I was reading your blog and his mouth started watering. He just got back from japan on his mission and he is totally craving shabu shabu...he said it's named that because that is the noise the meat makes when you put it in the liquid....

such fun living adventures through you :)