Thursday, June 5, 2008

EFMB

picture above is of a collapsible wall in case the North decides to invade. this barricade will block the road at least temporarily

He finished! Sorry, it's actually been a while from the top secret mission Rick was on. I wanted to do this great post about it so I kept waiting but here it is, great or not. I was able to go up North, somewhere near the DMZ, to see Rick be awarded the EFMB badge. EFMB is Army for Expert Field Medical Badge Award. From what I've been told this is one of the hardest badges to get in the Army. The candidates had to complete a night land navigation course, day land navigation course, dozens of simulated combat medical drills, and a 12 mile road march where he had to wear a 35 pound rucksack, his full uniform, carry his gun the whole time. and complete that in under 3 hours. He came in 2nd behind the first guy by only 4 minutes at 2:30. I arrived at the site just in time to see him pass by me! I wasn't even at the finish line yet because we had literally just pulled up. I was nervous because I was told no one was able to run with him to the finish line, for fear that they might assist him, so I didn't know if I could run over to the finish line or not. Some candidates actually fall right there, right in front of the finish line and no one can assist them. Imagine to get that close and not make it. Some don't. Luckily I was able to run on the side and see him cross the finish line.
Here he is walk/running to the finish line. The candidates afterwards kept telling Rick what a long stride he had--he just passed right by them! After I got out of the car we could tell someone was coming towards the finish line. People were saying it looked like a tall guy and that it might be Rick but I couldn't tell. So I just stood there as he got closer to us and before I knew it he was passing me on his way to the finish line. He even gave me a smile after 12 miles.



So glad he completed the badge. What a wonderful accomplishment! It would have been sad to be away from each other for weeks and him not finishing. Fortunately, he did and on his first try! For some it takes them more than one try. In fact, out of all the candidates trying out for the badge, out of 147 people only 21 got it!
Here they are during the ceremony, talks, and handing out of awards. One person fainted during the ceremony! I guess that's not uncommon when standing in formation but after a 12 mile road march, all I'd really want to do is sit down! Rick got some Army coins that he's pretty excited about. I don 't know where the tradition started but occasionally a soldier will get an authentic coin to show a job well done. A job well done indeed! I'm definitely proud of my soldier!

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Erica said...

congrats!!! i have to say...the last pic it's not hard to pick out rick! ha ha rick tall guy. congrats!

The Kroebers said...

Good job Rick. Eve it is kind of weird to read Army stuff on your blog. I'm not really used to the fact that you are an Army wife too. I like it though. I like seeing all of the soldiers and what they are doing. I'm glad your timing was good and you got to see him cross the finish line. Heather

Ali said...

Good job Rick,that is awesome, you are a machine!

baby said...

Wow. I'm blown away. Congratulations. That is truly awesome. It's amazing what they make their medical personnel do but they are in the army. I'm glad you got to go and see it E. I notice you didn't have to point out which one is Rick. I'm hoping those boots are comfy.

Mama Olive

Rebecca said...

Wow, congrats to Rick! That's impressive.

Mike and Kristin said...

A job well done to Rick. I know that the army can be very grueling. Did I tell you my brother-in-law is stationed in Italy right now? You should check out their blog, follow the McCollaums link on my blog. Mike and I are considering joining the Navy if our budget doesn't come through in San Fran! I used to have Navy and an Army coin, but I lost them in Katrina. It's such a different world in the service!

Unknown said...

moser, nice. and to think fat al used to out run you when lavar was chasing you us.