Wednesday, July 9, 2008

4th of July 2008, Korea

This 4th of July was really a great one--we both really enjoyed ourselves and were able to celebrate the day while remembering our country. Being on an Army Post often has it's advantages. The entire day was filled with a schedule of things going on here on post. We slept in a little too much so we missed some things in the morning but once we got moving, we had a blast. Never thought I'd be able to climb up into one of these:
The soldiers telling us about their vehicle, I forget the technical name of it, were so nice and helpful. I noticed they all had battle patches on their uniform signifying that they've been to war. I should have spoken up and said thank you for their service but didn't. Can I tell you the area where Rick is is tight and tiny! I feel like I barely squeezed in there and felt a bit claustrophobic (trying spelling that when blogger doesn't have a spell checker! Where'd it go???) It also does NOT smell good in those things. Not like it should smell good but I mean it just smells bad. If you look right where Rick's chin is, you can see the lens they see through. It's called paradiam lenses or something because the driver actually sits lower in the seat but his lenses see above for him. That way if they're getting attacked he doesn't have to worry about his eyes! I know I'm not explaining it great but it was fascinating to learn about.
Inside the tank.
Vroom vroom. Was I on M*A*S*H or what?
We got to meet Chuck Norris. I guess all the guys get to name their tanks. Behind us was Aphrodisiac! (Thank goodness firefox has spell check!!!)
We got to ride in these go-carts. How cool--they set these up for the 4th of July and they'll be here on the weekends throughout the summer.
We got to see "cheerleaders" perform
And another group, The Maxx performed. Rick said it should have been the Maxxx, with triple x's because it was uh, extremely provocative. And even though they most thrusted and gyrated, we stayed because I like dance and this was...sort of dance.
This was so cool and the highlight of the night. I think it was called "A Salute to the Nation". Each state was presented according to the date it joined the Union or United States. A soldier marched a flag to the stage and then a barrel salute was made. The soldiers were totally on task and it was fun to see them in action. Sometimes a barrel misfired and so the guy next in line promptly gave the signal for his firer to go!
It was so cool and so loud!




This video does not do the loud bang justice--it was super loud!
After that we watched the fireworks, which we were pretty impressed with. I wonder if the Koreans in town were wondering what was going on or if they are used to it by now. At any rate, we had a wonderful day!

I upload pictures but then they disappear...what is up, does this happened to you?
Have you thanked a soldier for their service and sacrifice?
Do you have a 4th of July tradition?
Are you going to answer these questions in a comment form or are you going to 'read and run'?

8 comments:

baby said...

Wow. That's great to be able to celebrate in such style on the base. MASH to the max is right. Inside tanks, dancing and mini cars. I love celebrating Independence Day and for us we attended the church breakfast. This year a foyer was full of memorabilia of anyone who had served in the military. That was interesting with old uniforms, pictures, journals, ship yearbooks, etc. Blue Star Moms were collecting as well for the troops. We walked to the plaza for the noon parade and danced until 3 to a live band. I swam while Dad started up the barbeque. A Capitol Fourth on TV was probably the best I'd ever seen: Jerry Lee Lewis and other greats. We can see fireworks from our front yard which is about time to count my blessings and call it a day.

Amy said...

I actually haven't had any pictures disappear, but there's a blogger help forum that you could check out that might be helpful. And no, I haven't thanked any soldiers, but I also haven't come across any lately. I will when I see one though! We laid pretty low on the 4th (see the post about it).
I loved those pictures of you in the camo vehicles; they cracked me up:)

{Erica} said...

I gotta say, I totally enjoy checking out your blog to see what you're been up to. Really enjoyed this post!

{Erica} said...

ps 4th o july tradition: ballon festival, parade, brunch, bbq, fire works. yeah...and usually a totally awesome tan! :)

The Kroebers said...

Umm... I usually go to the parade which is fun. And yes, I did thank a soldier.

Rebecca said...

I didn't have a holiday and I kind of forgot that it was the 4th. But I'm so grateful for soldiers! Will you tell your husband so? I don't know personally know any.

Erica said...

happy 4th! looks like you guys had a blast! as for me...the past 5 years i've been working in the summer w/ kids that have to watch the fireworks over tree tops. next summer i'm rooting for some sparklers!

Anonymous said...

So you look awesome in a tank, sister! (My favorite assault vehicle) It sounds like Camp Casey did it up right this year. I am happy you had a good time. I laughed at the pictures of the cheerleader/dancer chicks- so Korea. Awesome. I miss a lot of its craziness...folks like you! Seriously, I miss hearing your encounters with Korea and your opinions on everything else. You are still my favorite color!