Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Basic Chocolate Chip Cookies--Help!

If you think these look good you're wrong! Help!


I don't know what it is but lately I haven't been able to make a chewy chocolate chip cookie! I've tried not warming up the butter at all and just setting it out for a while before baking, refrigerating the dough before baking, Rick even tried lining the cookie sheet differently to see if the results were different (don't worry, I told him you don't coat cookie sheets, but he wanted to try anyway). Lately my cookies turn out like this:

I don't know if this looks good to you but the above pictured cookie is cakey not chewy. Do you know the trick to making cookies chewy? Is there a difference if I hand mix the dough instead of using an electric mixer (cuz I don't have one right now)? Seriously, I need cookie help! Do you have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe? If so, please send it to me and send me the do's and don'ts of cookie baking. Thank you

3 comments:

Amy said...

oh man, I hate cakey cookies! Try this: it's a recipe for what my family calls the "True Cookie." The derivation of the name is not very nice, but it stuck. When my mom got baptized, her brothers, who thought the idea of one true church was absurd, as absurd as the idea of there only being on true cookie, started referring to this family recipe as the True Cookie. Here's the recipe:
Beat: 1 c. butter (2 sticks)
1 c. brown sugar ( I use sucanat)
1 c. white sugar
then beat in 2 eggs
and 1 tsp vanilla
Combine: 2 c. flour (I do half wheat and half white)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
then combine with the wet stuff.
Next mix in 2c. rolled or quick oats and a generous 1 c. chocolate chips.
Bake 8-10 min. at 350. Take them out earlier than you think. They will be veeery soft and will change shape a bit as you lift them with the spatula. But they will set up well and be nice and chewy.
Yum, nothing like the True Cookie!
Good luck!

evelania said...

Thanks Amy! I'm going to have to try this, right after I get up the nerve after my failures!

Rebecca Reid said...

My favorite recipe isn't so much "cakey" or "chewy". But I like them: here's a link.