Saturday, April 12, 2008

Boycott JiffyLube and Pennzoil and Midas!!!

This is the video you have to watch!!!

I had this really weird experience years ago and I've decided to wait until now to share it with you. Basically I needed an oil change so I took my car to Pennzoil on 19th Ave and Pacheco or Noriega (I can't remember) in the City. The guy came out and said my transmission fluid was really dirty and that I should get it changed (I had a stick shift). I didn't know at the time, and still don't, but I wanted to be safe than sorry, so I had it changed, well, at least, I paid for it to get changed.

That night I was working at Mozzarelli di Bufala and I happened to be chit chatting away with some long time customers. I happened to mention to her that I got an oil change that day and I could have sworn my gas tank was lower when I drove it out than when I drove it in. As it turns out, she had the same experience happen to her! She has kids and so she always keeps her tank full, over the half tank of gas mark (or the quarter mark--I forget, it was a while ago). When she left the Pennzoil, her gas light turned on! We talked, and it was that same location--on 19th Ave!!!

So I never found out if they really changed my "transmission fluid" (do stick shifts even have transmission fluid, I've heard mixed reviews) but I'm pretty sure they stole some of my gas! That's why I am promoting the video below and feel free to send it to everyone you know! I tried to put the video up here but I can't, so you just have (you have to see this!) CLICK HERE! (I'm pretty sure this works now, I guess the old one weirded out and how do you add videos people???)

Oh, and why I'm saying to boycott Midas is because Rick had a run in with them when he moved to San Francisco and went to Midas for an oil change. He had a coupon for Midas for a $20 oil change and would get a free tire rotation. Rick is very particular about getting oil changes every 3,000 miles and keeps good care of his automobile. Basically Midas said he needed tons of repairs that he didn't; that he needed new brake pads and that the rotors were scored so bad that Rick would just have to get new ones. On top of that, Midas said his brake pads had been in so long that they had rusted solid and that they would have to use a torch and cut them off and charge him for all this new hardware. He knew he didn't need them because he'd just changed all his brake pads and he checked the rotors while he was changing the brake pads and they were totally fine. Now, it's been 3+ years, he still hasn't changed the brake pads--and they're fine... Oh, and, Rick happened to notice Midas never even ended up rotating his tires!!! He could tell because he had two different sets of tires and he wanted the spare tire rotated in as well!
So much for Nationwide shops you think you can trust because their name is so common! Click here for reviews on that Midas shop.

Seriously, I meant to call the Better Business Bureau but I never did, sad. So now I'm putting this video out there!!! You can click here for more dish on the particular pennzoil I went to. Seriously, there are way too many other oil change places--go to them! Don't support these corporations. And maybe, put a happy face or marker of some kind on your oil filter before you bring it in to a shop to make sure they change it!

4 comments:

Martha said...

Eve! I'm so happy you posted this. Those big chains are full of honky! I went to brakes plus once and they told me that I needed new break pads, it was going to be over $100 so I said no way. Later that summer I changed them with the help of my Dad and in the process of changing them, my Dad showed me that they 1. wouldn't even be able to tell that I needed them with what they were doing and 2. were still thick and didn't require any changing for a couple years! I was so mad. I fully support you and your efforts!

Critchlow said...

It is always better to do it yourself. It will cost you 15 dollars tops as well. You will have to buy a hydrolic lever to raise your car ($150). But that is a one time fixed cost. I started doing it myself after I found a cigerette placed in my filter from a Jiffylube worker.

evelania said...

Martha, isn't it horrible? Can you imagine if everyone in the world were honest? Wow, things would be SO different!

Critchlow, I've done it myself before, with the help of my dad (of course) but it would just be nice if you could pay someone and they would do what they say they'll do.

evelania said...

opps, forgot the question mark at the end of that comment. It's a great suggestion and changing your own oil would take out the guesswork. Although I wonder what they'd say if I drew a happy face on my oil filter and told them it was still there when I got my car back...